Saturday, March 8, 2008

Here we go again!

Apropos of nothing, I will once more put my thoughts to virtual paper, if only to give some place for my thoughts so that I can look back. Probably I will direct some people here also if I think something I've written is worth their time.

I started a blog in 2005 and made a couple hundred entries into it before petering out. The posts were a mix of random rambles and meticulous notes following the Hacker's Diet and my attempts to implement Getting Things Done. That blog fizzled for me, or at least my interest in it did, and had enough personal items in it that I decided to abandon it. It was also written with a pseudonym, and I think that encouraged me to be a bit more open with things I'd rather have kept to myself.

This time around I am going to be more "professional" in that I will not regale anyone with tales of my personal doings, and will stick to observations on technology, management, society, philosophy, etc. - bracing subjects, all.

As much as I'd like to be like Rands and have a cool hacker handle I am sadly lacking in that department. OK, I thought, I will use my real name. Alas, my name is far more common than I thought, so I went back to one of my first user account names and recycled it.

Despite not having a cool blog name, I am, however, going to take up some of his practices, including:
  • The opinions expressed on this website are entirely my own. They do not represent the strategy/plans/thoughts of my employer, my family, my friends, my cat, etc.
  • In some of my posts, I will refer to specific people as a means of telling the story... making a point. These people do not exist - they are fabrications that are specifically constructed to make a point. There are traits or quirks of former co-workers and friends that I borrow to construct my story persona, but these small slices of personality do not a person make.
  • Lastly, I go out of my way to never borrow traits, ideas, or personalities from my current set of co-workers and managers. That would be bad form.
There, some ground rules in place. Some ideas are already churning.

So, in case anybody reads this, welcome to the blog!

No comments: